March 16, 2012

same chair, new threads

I've been sewing like a mad woman around here. A few weeks ago I decided to make a white slipcover for this chair (that I've now reupholstered twice - I have a disease) to put in the baby boy's nursery. I contacted several upholsterers here in San Diego and the cheapest price I got (for labor only) was over $300 for a slipcover. I don't have that kind of cash just sitting around so after a few pep talks from my mom over the phone I did it! All by myself, you guys! I did look at a few tutorials I found on Pinterest but none of them really helped me very much so I just winged it with the stuff I already knew. It doesn't look professional and, up close it has plenty of flaws, but I'm happy with it. Slipcovers are sooooo much harder than reupholstering. I'm pretty sure I'll never do this again.
The slipcover is done and I'm feeling so good! My mom gave me 8 yards of super soft, cotton, duck canvas (that she scored for $1/yard - only she finds these deals!) so I had to buy a few yards of welting cord and two yards of zipper, which cost about $2.50. I'm feeling pretty awesome about spending less than $3 on a slipcover for my nursery chair. I'll post pictures on Monday in the room. I'm putting together all the finishing touches on the nursery and it's looking soooo good! I'm really excited.

Here are some things I learned in the last week:
1. Pin, pin, pin.
2. Basting works.
3. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again (or, "deny you ever tried"). Ha!
4. Listening to the John Denver Pandora station really helps me keep my cool when I break another needle or prick my finger with a pin again and almost bleed all over my white fabric.


Comments are moderated to eliminate spammers and internet bullies.